Join Rethink Energy Florida, the Sierra Club of Florida, Physicians for Social Responsibility Florida, the Foundation for Florida Environmental Protection, Earth Ethics, Environmental Action, Food and Water Watch, Floridians Against Fracking, FIRE, and other groups for a day of advocacy on January 20th at the Florida Capitol!
This is a great opportunity for concerned citizens to speak with their elected officials about key energy issues facing Florida this legislative session. By attending this event, you will help show our representatives that these issues are of great concern to their constituents.
Issues to Be Discussed
Banning Fracking in Florida: This extreme extraction method poses risks to our environment and does not benefit the people of Florida. We don't want to see what happened in Naples happen anywhere in Florida again!
Encouraging Energy Freedom: Many Floridians are unable to benefit from solar energy because of restrictive regulations. We'd like to see more consumer choice in where Floridians get their energy, and encourage job growth by ending these restrictions.
Clean Power Plan: This plan targets power plants because they are the largest concentrated source of carbon dioxide emissions in the United States, making up roughly one-third of all domestic greenhouse gas emissions. There are currently no national limits on carbon pollution levels. We oppose bills which are designed to delay implementing the Clean Power Plan and to divert EPA from its mission to address carbon pollution.
Tuesday, January 19th:
- 6:30-8:00pm: Citizen Lobbyist Training at the Leroy Collins Public Library, 200 West Park Avenue (snacks provided)
Wednesday, January 20th:
- 9:00am: mini-training for late arrivals at the AFL-CIO Building, 200 East College Avenue
- 10:00am- 4:00pm: legislative Meetings at the Capitol, 400 South Monroe Street
- 11:20am-12:45pm: lunch at AFL-CIO Building, 200 East College Avenue
- 12:30pm: press conference at location TBA
- 1:00pm: rally in front of the Capitol
- 4:00pm: most buses leave
- Evening: event with Oceans Day Advocates (more info forthcoming)
Buses will be traveling from the following locations:
- Miami: contact email@example.com (leaving 1/19)
- Orlando: contact Lisa@rethinkenergyflorida.org (leaving early 1/20)
- Naples/Ft. Myers: contact firstname.lastname@example.org (leaving early 1/20)
- Tampa: contact email@example.com (leaving early 1/20)
Vans and carpools will be traveling from the following locations:
- Jacksonville: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pensacola: contact email@example.com
Hotel Group Block:
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Howard Johnson Express Inn at 2726 North Monroe Street. The price for 1-4 people per room is $65 plus taxes, with breakfast included. Please call (850) 386-5000 in advance to reserve your room and pay.
Free Stay Option:
The First Presbyterian Church at 110 North Adams Street will be opening its doors to those who need a floor to sleep on. Bring a sleeping bag and towel to freshen up with. The church is within walking distance of both venues. Make sure to choose this option on the registration form so the organizers will have an accurate head count!