Do you want to bump up your urban gardening game in response to Florida's challenges with soil, weather, and lack of space? Then come learn about hydroponics and container food growing.
Hydroponics is the growing of crops with a nutrient solution and inert media but no soil. Hydroponic units are now popular and affordable for small food producers and market gardeners. Container growing is also gaining popularity due to many benefits, including the reduction of soil pests.
Presented by UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County, this class will provide an introduction to the basics of hydroponic and container food growing. Topics will include:
- Introduction to the six basic hydroponic systems,
- Traditional and new container gardening products,
- Systems for cool and warm seasons,
- Organic vs. conventional nutrition systems, and
- Selection of hydroponic and container crops.